Sheetal is a Medical Doctor, Doctor of Science (H.C.), Disability Specialist, Environmentalist, Painter, Photographer and Social Entrepreneur.
Initiatives at Maharogi Sewa Samiti, Warora:
· Currently she is working as Chief Executive Officer and Board Member of India’s leading non-profit, Maharogi Sewa Samiti (MSS), Warora, operating from one of the most backward districts of Central India. MSS has built livelihood capabilities of 2.7 Million marginalized people, especially those with disabilities like leprosy afflicted, orthopedically handicapped, vision and hearing impaired and primitive tribal populace since 1949. With her diverse educational background and experience, she is working to strengthen the most essential pillars of rural system i.e. Health, Education, Environment and Sustainable Village Development. She is also engaged in an ambitious project of making Anandwan a one of its kind ’smart village’ in the country by making it smarter, technologically efficient, economically productive and environmentally sensitive.
· She received an award grant for setting up ‘Centre of Excellence for Medical Leadership, ethics and Motivation’ at Anandwan by Lancet Commission on Global Surgery. Through that she founded ‘Mashaal’ and ‘Chirag’, two exclusive leadership training programs for motivating medical professionals across India.
· She has recently set up a centre called ‘Nijbal’ for offering one-stop services to people with disabilities in India that offers services from prevention of disability to primary, secondary and tertiary education, vocational training and employment support, various types of counselling, sports and medical and physical rehabilitation services.
· She has also started ‘Yuvagram’, a project to empower unemployed youth in India through gainful employment.
· Most importantly, on environment front, her model of dense plantation of native trees, adopted for Indian conditions from ‘Miyawaki method of afforestation’, has been fully accepted by Government of Maharashtra and renamed after her contribution to the environment as ‘Anandwan Dense Forest Model’. She has recently chaired a committee of Government of Maharashtra on ‘Anandwan Dense Forests’ and presented a detailed report to the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests-Head of Forest Forces, Government of Maharashtra.
Other Professional Positions:
· She serves as one of the founding member of IdeaGist Bloackchain Incubator, run on the world's largest virtual incubation platform for people thinking of disruptive solutions to real-world problems using blockchain technology.
· She is an adviser to Express Public Health Awards and a member of Jury of Express Healthcare Awards.
· She serves on the advisory board of India’s leading public health institute- Indian Institute of Public Health, Delhi.
· She works as an Academy Member and Jury of 1 million USD ‘Global Teacher Prize’ that is given to teachers across the world for excellence in their profession.
· She is a member of Young Leaders’ Council of All India Institute of Management (AIMA).
· She is also a member of various policy level education, agricultural, entrepreneurship development and healthcare innovation committees that include governmental and non-governmental apex committees such as WHO and Lancet Commission on Global Surgery on rural surgical health and leadership, distance education committees of Mumbai University and an empowered committee for mid-day meal set up by Government of India.
· She is an accomplished photographer with a few international publications and helps NGOs document their work through photographs. She is a winner of Lancet Highlights Photography Competition, 2016.
· She is an abstract painter and teaches painting to differently-abled children.
Awards, Honours and Recognitions and Memberships:
· In March 2016, she was selected by World Economic Forum as 'Young Global Leader 2016'. The World Economic Forum bestows this apex honour each year to recognize the distinguished leaders under the age of 40, nominated from around the world. This is in recognition of a person’s record of professional accomplishments and potential to contribute to solving the world's pressing issues.
· She contributes regularly as a member of World Economic Forum Expert Network on Humanitarian Response.
· She is an active part of ‘SABI’- South Asian Bridge Initiative that aims to set up constructive philanthropic models in South Asia.
· She is working as a fellow of World Innovation Organisation, an initiative of World Summit on Innovation and Entrepreneurship and United Nations.
· She is also the recipient of Woman Achiever Award 2019 (Public Health), Loksatta Durga Award 2018, Rotary Vocational Excellence Award 2017, INK fellowship 2016 and Kasturba Award 2006.
· MBBS degree with a gold medal in surgery
· Master’s degree in Social Entrepreneurship from Tata Institute of Social Sciences with a silver medal
· Certificate in Nonprofit Governance from Financial Management Service Foundation-TISS alliance
· Diploma in Financial Management and Accountability from Financial Management Service Foundation-TISS alliance
· Executive Education in Global Leadership and Public Policy for 21st Century from Harvard Kennedy School, Boston, USA
· Doctor of Science (honoris causa) degree from D. Y. Patil University, Kolhapur.
She is married to Gautam Karajgi who is an engineer and a management expert. He is a Trustee of Maharogi Sewa Samiti, Warora and looks after management and Anandwan Smart Village project. They have a 5-year-old son, Sharvil. They are based at Anandwan village in Chandrapur district of Maharashtra.